Friday, May 29, 2009
have you heard of the proust questionnaire? if you like "inside the actor's studio" then you're familiar. they also run it in vanity fair. here's the description from vanity fair's website:
Since July 1993, the back page of Vanity Fair has been devoted to the Proust Questionnaire, in which a noteworthy person answers a series of personal questions. The questionnaire has its origins in a parlor game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust (1871–1922), the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature.
and here are some of my favorite answers that various celebrities have given
-which living person do you most despise?
generally, i tend to despise human behavior rather than human creatures. -sidney poitier
-what do you consider the most overrated virtue?
no real virtue, if such, can be overrated. - umberto eco
-what are your favorite names?
aureolus theophrastus bombastus, and jim. -umberto eco
-what is your greatest fear?
finding a panther in my bathroom. -ellen degeneres
-what is the quality you most like in a man?
uxoriousness. -emma thompson (uxoriousness is defined as having or showing an excessive or submissive fondness for one's wife.)
-how would you like to die?
improved--and loved. -marcel proust
-what is your greatest regret?
not telling my husband I loved him 20 times a day. - katie couric
-how would you like to die?
i would not like to die. -david mamet
-what is your motto?
my motto is “be prepared.” I am told this is also the motto of the boy scouts, but, if so, this only proves that they were acting according to my motto earlier than i. -david mamet
-which historical figure do you most identify with?
columbus—if it’s true that he knew where he was going, got lost, and found a place that was better. -dustin hoffman
and here is the basic questionnaire so you can play along! if you want, leave some of your answers in the comments. i think it's a fascinating way to get to know someone...
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. On what occasion do you lie?
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
11. Which living person do you most despise?
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
16. When and where were you happiest?
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
21. Where would you most like to live?
22. What is your most treasured possession?
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
24. What is your favorite occupation?
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
26. What do you most value in your friends?
27. Who are your favorite writers?
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
31. What are your favorite names?
32. What is it that you most dislike?
33. What is your greatest regret?
34. How would you like to die?
35. What is your motto?