Tuesday, June 17, 2008

everyday i write the book

i don't know if anyone's noticed, but the last few posts' titles have also been titles or lyrics from songs. haha. it's a new thing.

anyway, i've been thinking about blogging lately, and about the version of myself that i put out there in blogland. do you know what i mean? what i mean is that there's big chunks of my life that i haven't talked about here. i don't discuss my sex life on this blog. i don't really talk about my daily routine (wouldn't want to bore anyone to the point of banging their head repeatedly on the computer monitor.) i know there are bloggers who share a lot more about themselves on their blogs, and i wonder sometimes where the line is of how much is too much. you know, "TMI!" i think it's probably different for everyone.

the thing for me is that this blog is a place where i get to kind of "create" myself in maybe a different way than my daily life is lived. it's not that i'm trying to misrepresent myself at all, it's just that most of the time i don't get to talk about books and music and movies and philosophizing about things in my regular life. that's what i like about this blog.

how about you guys? how open are you on your blogs? do you feel like there's a difference between the way you are on your blog and the way you are in your "real" life, your everyday life?

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I'm with ya.

Sugar Jones said...

This is actually the subject of the Keynote on Saturday at BlogHer.

Heather (Dooce) Armstrong and another blogger are going to be discussing living life in a fish bowl and where the line is drawn personally on what is bloggable and what is sacred. I don't know... I guess we all have our own comfort zone. Dooce will pretty much talk about anything. Some of her subjects are off-line for me. But then I'll write about my separation from my husband or issues with my teens.

Then there's the odd sense that your are editing or storing all of your moves or fleeting thoughts as a possible blog topic for later. I know for me the other morning, I was up on a glorious hike. I had really cleared my head by the time I got to the top of my climb. But before I could head down, the relaxing void was filled with not one but three excellent ideas for blog posts or series of posts. I ran the whole way home and started scribbling right as I walked in. There's still dirt and sweat on the sheet of paper that I wrote on. I don't know if that was good or not.

I'm curious to read what others consider their comfort zone.