Monday, October 05, 2009

keep on trying


"my brothers and sisters, don't ever get discouraged if you stumble at times. don't feel downcast and despair if you don't feel worthy to be a disciple of Christ at all times. the first step to walking in righteousness is simply to try. we must try to believe, try to learn of God, read the scriptures, study the words of His latter-day prophets, choose to listen to the Father, and do the things He asks of us.
TRY, and KEEP ON TRYING, until that which seems difficult becomes possible, and that which seems only possible becomes a habit, and a real part of you."
-president dieter f. uchtdorf

i was in a pretty dark place when conference started this weekend. i felt another depression coming on and i was feeling guilty and terrible about that. facing another major episode of depression was wearing me out and i didn't feel like i could do it anymore. so many of the words and songs at conference uplifted me and restored my spirit. especially these words of president uchtdorf's. i feel like if i can just keep trying, someday i will be the person that i want to be.

2 comments:

traveltwin said...

thank you thank you thank you for sharing this, because to some extent i was feeling the same way. sometimes i think we get so bogged down with the whole perfection thing, but i think we're here to work on it, not to BE perfect, not right now anyway. anyway, i'm so glad that you shared that, because it made me want to try, and not give up when i fall short.

Kluane said...

Both of those talks stood out for me too. I love your honesty. And I hope that everyday I can do better. I miss visiting you... you should come to the super saturday on the 17th. Even if you don't do a craft, just come and visit. I can pick you up, just let me know.